Saturday, 6 October 2012

TMBT Ultra-Trail Marathon 2012, my story!

2011, swing by so fast and now, it's already 2012 TMBT!
My oh my, where do I even begin?

Weeks ago, or was it months ago, one of the head of official's asked me whether I wanted to join again. Without even a pause or thinking, immediately I said, "Yes"

I mean like why would I say No to the Most Beautiful Thing, right? :D 

Before the day came, I was more than excited on what to bring. Hunting for outdoor gears. To be honest, I've got an itch to buy stuffs which was only meant for runners. When the reality was, I was there to help out and volunteer and not run. This. is. crazy. I actually came more prepared than the previous event. 

 I was already loving the scenery from the recce 
But man, I don't know what these guys signed up for! Tough challenging route indeed!
You guys gotta thank Dr. Claus for it! Heheh :P  

The night before, I could not sleep and woke super early. I was an excited official to start off my duty on the registration table at Megah D'Aru Hotel in Tanjung Aru. That Friday morning, me and our team of volunteer's setting up to sort out the competitor's racer pack. A runner I met last year, Kairi, was the first one to greet me at the table.He was in for 100k.

Compared to last year's , things started a day earlier. This is somehow a completely different experience altogether. 

That afternoon, after the first registration for 25k, 50k and 100k were done, we went off for our journey on a tour bus with the rest of the competitors to Kundasang. As soon as we've reached Kinabalu Park, we walked down to our hostel rooms, each for the boys and for us girls, where we were staying for the night. It's been awhile. I've missed this park. We took a somehow perfect evening walk as it was windy. It was a breeze. The airy moment down below majestic Mount Kinabalu.

We came to the Multipurpose hall at the Kinabalu Park that evening for our final registration. The walk made us sweat but  later on, it started to get really, really cold.  I was in charge for the 50k runners and I think I was made for the job cause I love the ability to interact and in getting to know with the people from other countries & different walks of life.  Some were regulars and used to this. And were even first timers.  As a volunteer, I try my very best to assist whatever I could, whenever possible. Their not-so-fluent in English language is certainly not a barrier. :)

That evening, it was also my first time to have met a friendly guy named Bryan and his mum.  There was an instant connection with both of them. Poor Bryan's mum had really bad sore throat that time.

Busy night with registrations and talks for us and the runners at the hall. It was tiring. But laughter and jokes makes it a great fun night. Despite that scary, strong winds and heavy downpour which was believed to be a hurricane that came from our neighbouring country. Short back ride to the hostel with Bryan's ride. It was wet, wet, wet. Midnight calling our name for a warm hostel bed sleep. Lights were blinking as the wind blew so hard. Leggings and thick socks save my frozen feet.

Second day.....The race day finally here. This year, for the first time, I get to witnessed my elder sister, uncle and aunties participate in those 3 different categories.  It's a nice feeling to be able to support them at the starting point, encouraging them and together with each and every competitors there. 

I remember very well last year that I was at the check point cum finishing line for the 25k and 50k. Giving out mineral water bottles and helping out with the medals for the winners and those who finished the race. It was fun being outside the woods.

While this year, I had less of an outdoor adventure. I was in for another totally different responsibility. Being in the headquarter requires a lot of concentration. To make sure the whereabouts of the, at my side was the 50k runners. Was not an easy task but with all ears, I learn to be more focused in receiving details. I was stationed at SK Pekan Kundasang meeting room. Which was also the finishing line for 50k and 100k runners.  This is the place where everyone is almost up and about taking turns to sleep while some were waiting competitors during late hours. Those freezing time it almost felt icy cold.

In between breaks, I get to breathe the fresh air outside or have drinks and meal at the canteen. Get to know few RO's (Radio Operators) we were working with, medics, photographers and time keepers Pauline, Brittany, Jourdi and everyone on duty that I didn't get their name. I'm sorry. And it was nice to actually squeeze some quick chat with some runners after their race & share their experience. Some even asked me why I love being a volunteer for the second year now.

Some fond and funny memories, too much to mentioned here but in my heart, I shall treasure.

Why I like getting involved in this event?
Simple!  I have my own reasons for coming back again. 
 The reunion of those whom I've made friends last year, meeting familiar & new faces.  Once in awhile, getting out of the usual work routine cause it tends to get really boring. The access of learning something not everyone could have. Those experience are too precious. Nature calling out my name and here I am, smiling saying hello & in a blink of 3 days eyes, I bid goodbye to The Most Beautiful Thing Ultra-Trail Marathon. Time to board on the bus back home and reality checked. Hoping I'll be in for another adventure treat next year! As a runner perhaps? 



Thank you !

You can read from my last year adventure here.


Lee Lee said...

Hi Eudora,

Thanks for sharing your experience as a volunteer at the recent TMBT Ultra Trail Race. I get to see the event from a different perspective.

Hope to see you next year, not as a volunteer but as a participant? *lol*

Have a nice day!

Eudora said...

@LeeLee : Haha Thanks Lee Lee! Who knows right? :p You have a nice day as well! :)